Friday, March 5, 2010

His nom de guerre, Macheath Messer, could never bear the stare of...

Working on that Faustian pop epic again tonight. I think I have it written, now I just have to assemble the tracks and sing 16 tracks of vocals. No problem. The story follows a physician (actually a doctor of psychiatry, though it's not overtly stated) as he uses his Machiavellian man-charms to start a few world wars, take down some historical figures, etc--and we go back and forth from his birth to his (alleged) demise and his ultimate fate. All in that upbeat, catchy pop/rock sound the kids love so. It's a little longer than the three-minute pop of some of my other songs, but I'm trying to keep it concise. Having said that, it took me five sheets of legal pad paper to write down the lyrics, so...yeah. It's coming together.

I went out to Zia records in Tempe today and dropped off my CD entry for their local comp. I hope they like the tunes and decide to include one (or both)... I used to work out there (actually at one of their other locations) so it was fun to be back. Actually they said they were hiring, so...you never know.

Tomorrow I hope to finish (or at least get closer to finishing) the big epic and I can go back to working on some of the other songs. I've got a 19th century saloon number I'm dying to get to, and a clearly derivative-of-Prince ballad, and then a few more of the powerpop/poprock gems I seem to enjoy writing. Hopefully I'll have a new song to post in a day or to. For now it's off to get some shut-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment