Thursday, March 18, 2010

Black-legs and harlots, cut-throats and Zen Archers...

So, I'm slowly working up the courage to let people actually hear a few of the songs. I've always been a little shy/terrified about that, which is completely not helpful. I sent a few out to some friends this week, and posted a few links to the songs I've finished. We'll see how it goes.

I finally finished (and uploaded) the big Faustian epic, which has the suitably pompous and weighty title "The Tragical History of Doctor Heinrich Wilhelm Walter (1348-??)" . I have a little bit of a theatre background, and I wanted to do something a little more complex, tell a little bigger of a story than my usual 3-4 minute pop spaz fests. A couple of lines from an old (and I do mean old) notebook were the genesis of the thing, and the rest just developed organically. And by "organically" I mean I spent a month writing lyrics for five or six hours a day. I think it was worth it...hopefully others will agree.  There's a mountain of antiquated phrases and references in the lyrics (from old medicine shows to John Gilbert and Greta Garbo to 19th century French arch-criminal Fantômas and his paramour/victim Lady Maud Beltham)...yeah, it's that kind of thing. But hey, if you prefer your pop songs short and sweet, I definitely have a ton of those.

Next up? I have like 20 songs in progress, so it could be anything, but I've been working on this cool old west saloon song, as well as this amazingly cheesy 80s bombastic love ballad that should really have been the theme to some Kelly McGillis movie or something. And there are three or four good old-school soul-pop numbers I have to work on. Could be anything really--insanity is unpredictable.

Anyway: the Kit Kelley Facebook page is here, chock full o' fresh songs:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kit-Kelley/359132810897

And the Kit Kelley music MySpace...

http://myspace.com/kitkelleymusic

More soon... xo

No comments:

Post a Comment